View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
As an example, last year I was doing shot clock for Girls' Varsity, whenever a foul was being called the calling official was looking at me & reporting the information at me, instead of to the Scoreboard/Timer & Scorebook.

I had worked with that official several times before when I was JV & C-Squad Scoreboard/Timer, and the official was so used to my method of operations. The person that does the Varsity Scoreboard/Timer has been doing it for at least 10 years, yet I've only done scoreboard/timer for 4-5 years. You'd think the more senior person would have more respect/appreciation from the officials, yet whenever I am at the table I get better responses than others.

With this person that's got the more experience, I've seen several screw ups, yet no one seems to want to change things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't think any of that has anything to do with it. Many times, if I'm familiar with a face at the table, I'm going to be drawn more toward that face. For example, the timer this past Friday night has been at the table for years. I did not know either scorer. So naturally, my gaze would catch the timer most times. But then I would pick up the scorer.
I agree. Who I look at when reporting doesn't have anything to do with my opinion of who is sitting at the table. It does have a lot to do with where they put that big "X" on the floor. Unfortunately that "X" is usually at the center of the table and the timer is sitting behind it instead of the scorer.

Last edited by Scratch85; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 02:08pm.