Thread: Air Horn!
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 05, 2009, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is not by the rule book, I have no citations, and a lot of Forum members are going to give me a hard time regarding my answer, but here it is. If I deem that the air horn caused the shooter to miss, I'm calling it disconcertion, and I'm giving the visitors another free throw. Yes, I know that the rule states that no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower, and I know that fans are not opponents, but this was an unsporting act, and I'm going to use common sense and use 2-3.

OK guys. I'm ready. Give me your best shot.
As you have written, disconcertion is not the proper call. A team technical foul per 2-8-1 is supported by the book.

RULE 2, SECTION 8 OFFICIALS’ ADDITIONAL DUTIES
The officials shall:
ART. 1 . . . Penalize unsporting conduct by any player, coach, substitute, team
attendant or follower.
NOTE: The home management or game committee is responsible for spectator behavior,
insofar as it can reasonably be expected to control the spectators. The officials may call
fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper
conduct of the game.
Discretion must be used in calling such fouls, however, lest a team
be unjustly penalized. When team supporters become unruly or interfere with the orderly
progress of the game, the officials shall stop the game until the host management
resolves the situation and the game can proceed in an orderly manner. In the absence of
a designated school representative, the home coach shall serve as the host management.