Thread: that coach!
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Yo, Dude!

Scott is in my chapter and while I cannot attest to the "better than 90% of the other officials", he is excellent...not that he needs me to defend him.

Also, even as a lover of sports (and a pathetic athlete) I will point out that school sports, regardless of the level, are a priviledge. The education of the student is paramount! That is, afterall, the reason we have schools.

When I was in high school (in Texas before No Pass, No Play) I was in the band (see pathetic athlete and a baseball coach that was a jerk). We had a academic standard of 85 or better in every class to participate. No exceptions, no excuses. We also had strict dress codes, conduct codes, etc. Didn't like them, fine...quit. Worked out pretty well for us, both in and out of class.

When my son was in high school, his standard was 85 or better or no extracirricular activity. He has turned out wonderfully (honor grad from HS, NHS, gold medal in Academic Decathlon, Eagle Scout and honor student at Baylor working to become a minister). Same standard for my daughter. I will point out like Scott, my children have and continue to establish they are capable of performing at that level in their studies. If other activities cause their grades to drop, they lose that activity (be it sports, cheerleadings, TV, etc.). I only expect them to do their best.

You may call that unfair or unreasonable...I call it parenting.