Thread: that coach!
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridge Wiz
college girl,
And another question, How does kids learn to play the game if they barely, or rarely, get to play at the games?
I beg to differ. Nobody learns how to play during the game. They learn how to play in practice. That's why you practice more than you play. I hear parents say they don't want their kid to try for the middle school team in the 5-6th grade because they won't get as much playing time as they would in our "youth" league. I don't agree. Our youth league practices one hour on 1/2 of the court & plays one game per week. However, the middle school practices 3 or 4 times per week for about 2 hours using the whole gym. They also play 1, 2 or sometimes 3 games per week.
Best of Luck to you.
Will you please take a step back and reread what you wrote. No 10 to 12 year old child should be subjected to 6 to 8 hours of practice plus up to 6 hours of games a week! They do not have the emotional maturity to handle such. This is to say nothing of the mental fortitude to stick to their studies. This is ludicrous.

Mom, put your child in a youth league, let him have fun. Send him to local summer basketball camps to learn his skills. When he gets into high school you can talk about that amount of practice. When he gets into HS he can go to a national camp. A few years back we sent our #1 son to Coach K’s at Duke when he was ready for it.