View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpref View Post
I gotta say, I am about ready to leave. It seems that almost every thread turns into a p i s s i n g match!
Maybe I'm missing something, but, at this moment, in glancing at the whole first page of posts, I'm not sure where I find very many pissing matches at all, much less "almost every thread". Or, just by the mere fact I disagree, is this now considered a pissing match?

Quote:
Guys, if your contributions, EVEN SOME OF THE TIME is nothing more than arguing against somebody, maybe you need a break from this! Seriously!
There are many of us that take this avocation very seriously. Some would say even passionately. Since officiating can be just as much an art as it is a science, there can be passionate opinions on both sides of an issue where both sides feel equally correct. Since the goal is for all of us to be on the same "team", how do you propose we discuss rules, mechanics, and philosophies with officials who disagree? Should we just sit back, nod our head, and say, "Ok, we disgree"? How does that contribute to getting us all on that same team, with the same philosophies?

Another aspect to officiating in general, and not just basketball, is having a thick skin when it comes to criticism and complaints. Part of growing as an official is having the confidence to deal with criticism, and knowing how to communicate well enough to express thoughts and ideas without getting into pissing matches. Also, understanding who you're communicating with can go a long way towards understanding how to communicate with them. Perhaps some of the communication that goes on here may seem like pissing matches to the casual observer, when it is nothing more than kidding around between friends.

Quote:
Can I get a AMEN?
Not right at the moment. But, thanks for asking.

(Used with permission.)