Thread: Block/Charge
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Well, #2 is definately false. The rule states that "after the initial guarding position is obtained the guard is not reqired to have either or both feet on the floor . . . and the guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs" (4-23-3, in relevant part).

The first question is a bit more iffy and definately judgemental. Per the rulebook and all the cases, the defender is allowed to move into the path of the dribbler - time and distance are not factors, and the defender is allowed to "regain guarding position at the last moment [before contact]" (10.6.1A).

That said, I tend to call blocks in cases like this (even though I generally call more PC fouls than all of the other IM refs combined). First, the generalized rule of head and shoulders past the torso still applies. Often the defender will just get part of a leg and shoulder in the way of the offensive player. The dribbler can easily get his head and shoulders past the defender's torso - block. Also, when the defender comes in hard and fast, there's often a force to send the dribbler off of his path. In that case, I apply advantage/disadvantage. The defender didn't go anywhere and the dribbler was basically pushed out of the way - I generally call a block on this play, too.