View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I should add

Oh - I forgot to say that player B was fouled from behind, and was stationary at that time.

I think two things were happenening.

1) Too many people have this image of last-minute foul-a-thons in the NBA, where the bearhug is an acceptable method of fouling to stop the clock.

2) Officials in the past likely applied their own discretion in late game situations. I've seen it called a few times. I believe that player G was stupid for not reaching in or bumping instead.

3) After reading the NCAA rulebook, I came to the conclusion that there should be no discretion once the arms go around another player. After quoting the relevent portions of the rulebook in my previous discussions, the sentiments vary from, "this makes sense" to "who cares" or "stuff your rulebook down your A@$". I think there are people who really think this shouldn't have been called, just because "everyone knows this is going to happen".

After my post her last night, I came across this "point of emphasis" in the 2003 NCAA rulebook:

"Intentional Fouls and Off-Ball Fouls at the End of a Game
Intentional fouls and fouls committed off the ball in end-of-game situations must be called and penalized as described in the rules."

Oh - thanks for all the responses.