View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 19, 2000, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Virginia Umpire
[B]Nowhere in my discussion do I suggest or advocate any pitcher throwing at a batter's head. As a matter of fact intentionally pitching at the batter is illegal in NCAA, FED, and Pro. I am not attempting to argue or suggest that it is legal or should be tolerated.

Virginia Ump - this is the problem with the Keyboard medium - One cannot explain in words sometimes what they actually meant.

I apologize if I suggestd that you advocate throwing at one's head as that is not what I meant.

My point on this whole matter is IMO the rules need to be changed. Both Clemens and Veres remained in the game, but if another pitcher retaliated - THEY would be the one's who would have been tossed. That's unfair

I'm only suggesting that the rule ACTUALLY state - If F1 hits any batter in the head - they are IMMEDIATELY ejected from the game and could face possible suspension.

My analogy with football is that when one grabs the facemask - The referee does not judge intent. If a player merely grabs it and lets go immediately - 5 yards, but if they grab it and take down the runner - 15.

To summarize I'm just advocating putting the actually Ejection statement in the body of the rules. Presently, IMO it's too vague - Ok time to move on to another ubject matter and thanks for your comments