Thread: that coach!
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

My humble advice....

First off, take a deep breath and just think about it for a few days. I agree that you did the right thing by sticking to your guns with your son. I would speak to the coach to verify that your son's memory of the coach's reply is correct. If his reply is indeed the way your son stated, I would strongly make a point to the school that he was out of line. There is the chance that he was having a horrible day and may apologize to you for his statement. Most coaches are very competitive by nature and he may have reacted with a hot head. There may be more to the story than you are aware. Parents have the right to fight for what they feel is the proper way to treat their child but I would be sure of all the facts before I made a hasty reply.

Regarding the thought of pulling your child from the school because of this incident. PLEASE.. GET A GRIP... If you have your children's best interest in mind regarding school, you should be most concerned about the QUALITY of education that they are receiving. To pull a child out of a strong academic school (if indeed yours is) because of a poor reaction of a coach is way out of line to me. That's just a personal opinion (and I do recall what they say about opinions!!).

Good Luck. I hope that things work out for the best. Of almost every retired coach that I speak to, the number 1 reason why they gave up coaching is because of dealing with parents. I just ask that you give him/her a fair chance before you decide how to handle it.

RR