Thread: pulled muscle
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 16, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
I had some doubt too. The injury occured when I was pushing off, not stretching out. Also it is off to the side not down the line.
Another possibility is that you tore the gastroc.

The achilles tendon splits just above your ankle and attaches on each side of your calf muscle. Where the tendon and the muscle attach is called the gastroc. It usually feels fine after a day or two, but is subject to further injury if you don't let it heal completely for about 3-4 weeks. It is a common injury in areas where quick stops, turns and pushoffs occur (sound familiar?).

I have had this injury twice, it has led to scar tissue buildup around the injured area that can restrict the blood flow to my calf muscle and cause cramps and pulls much more easily. Because of this, my BB officiating days are basically done. My legs cannot stand the constant pounding up and down a hardwood floor. Any good sports medicine doc can check you out and get you on a rehab routine.

I'm not trying to alarm you, just encouraging you to get it checked out so that you can keep calling.