View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Ahh, but what to do if it is one of those clocks that rolls to 0 when 0.9 seconds remain? You see the clock show zero, the horn blows nearly a second after you see the time show 0? Hmmm.

I'm with BITS...if my whistle is clearly and distinctly before the horn, I am going to put time back on the clock...no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Even if I can't see the clock, I have a good enough sense of time to have definite knowledge. You better come up with something....especially if the two (whistle/horn) are not almost simultaneous.
Btw, I agree with BITS too. (Well, at least his statement about this whole discussion is moot if you follow the correct mechanics and actually know how much time is left.)

I don't disagree it's real hard to explain to a coach or team that yes, we know the whistle happened first, but since we don't know exactly how much time was left, we can't put any time back on. But that is the rule. We've discussed "fair" before on many different subjects, but it usually boils down to: we can't make things "fair", we can only go with what the rules tell us. Correctable error rules aren't necessarily "fair", but if the crew (officials and table) follow all the correct mechanics, we would not have any correctable errors. The way the blarge is handled may not be "fair", but if officials handled the mechanics correctly, there would be no blarges.

Now can you honestly tell me you know the difference between .9 seconds and .6, for example? What sort of official count are you using? Either way, in the case of a clock that does not show tenths, how can you justify putting 1.0 seconds on the clock when there could actually be .5 left? How is that "fair" to the other team, letting the one team have twice the amount of correct time left, just to put "something" back up?

In other words, what rule or case are you using to put "something" back up?

(Used with permission.)