View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Well, there are 2 parts to this question - what the rule says, and what your interpreter says. If they are the same, there's no problem. If they are different, then there's also no problem - you do what your interpreter says, even if it's wrong.

5-10 pretty much covers this situation: "The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative to the time involved. The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock." Simply knowing that there was some amount of time in between the whistle and the horn is not the same as "definite information". Definite information can be someone seeing the actual time on the clock, or it can be an official's count of some kind.

I agree with everything BITS says, up to the point where he says, "Otherwise, I'm going with my best estimate". We cannot use an estimate, no matter how much it would seem somewhat fair. Someone on the crew (officiating and table) had better have something better than an estimate. Otherwise, you cannot put a guess back on the clock. Also, if the clock does not show tenths, and you know the display had 0 while the horn had not sounded, then you cannot put 1 second back on because you would be putting back more time than what is allowed.

To quote an old, esteemed member, "Rulz is rulz."

(Used with permission.)