View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 16, 2009, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

In an end of game situation like that, you *have* to know what was on the clock. You see or hear the time out request, your eyes immediately go to the clock as you are blowing your whistle. But if you didn't for whatever reason...

In the OP if I know my whistle beat the horn, step one is to immediately and very forcefully take control of the situation. Let everybody know the game is not over, and that we have a time out. Next, get right with your partner(s) and find out if either glanced at the clock (as well as the normal stuff about whose ball and where it's coming in). If one of them looked at the clock, there's your definite knowledge. If not, you might also canvas your table crew to see if one of them looked at the clock. If not, you've got a problem. You know there was some time on the clock when the whistle sounded, but not how much. Definite knowledge or not, there is no way I'm going to let the clock expire on this. If the clock does not support 10ths of a second, then it's easy, put one second on the clock. Otherwise, I'm going with my best estimate. The only thing I care about in my estimate is whether the remaining time should be more or less than .3 seconds.