View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 09:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Never seen it, but don't doubt it

I just re-entered the wonderful world of basketball officiating after a hiatus.

Called a girls' varsity game Friday night and a boys' varsity game Saturday afternoon. Only four subvarsity games to let me remember how to officiate, but it all came back quickly. I will say I read through the mechanics and rules books thoroughly this preseason (like I should every season, but I digress).

I know I'll have completely arrived when I:

(1) Stop waving in substitutes before multiple throws
(2) Stop coming to the FT line as the trail on the first shot

My first year of officiating, 1987, I laughed at how much trouble the vets had getting used to the new 3-point line (might have been 1988, I don't remember). I understand now, believe me.

I've always been a stickler for proper mechanics, not because I think they are always the best way to do things, but because it provides a foundation for myself and my partner -- who, since I just moved to my current home, will be new to me nine times out of ten. If we follow proper mechanics, then I know where s/he will be on the court and s/he should know where I am.

That said, I can't ever remember working in a state where the reporting official on a timeout did not assume the position at the division line. While I'm not doubting that I've been doing this "wrong" all of these years, I have never had a partner in the five states I've worked basketball bring this up.

Actually, I remember a time when we would piggy-back timeouts to our partners if the partner was more convenient to the table. I have no idea whether that was proper at some time (I would guess not). A lot less awkward taking it to the table yourself anyway, now that we have to find out whether a TO is a full or a 30.

As my season progresses, I hope to contribute more to this board. I've mostly been a baseball umpire the last five years and have written articles for the pay-per-view portion of the site. But I must say that the basketball bug has hit hard. Again.

Rich