Thread: Bean Bag
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I get annoyed at unnecessary bean bags...but not as annoyed as I get at necessary but absent bean bags.

I worked with a top ranked crew this year for one game, they've done state championships 2 of the last 5 years. I was HL, interception in the flat 5 yards in front of me and the BJ threw a bean bag 40 yards to spot the interception, I asked him why, and he said, "Because thats what they (pointing towards the bleachers) expect to see."

I still don't bag interceptions, or fumbles behind the LOS.
I never bean bag fumbles obviously behind the line. Almost always, I think to myself, "I should bean bag those just to be in the habit for when the fumble isn't behind the line." But I never do. But, I don't miss bean bags in other situations. So, I guess I don't need the practice, after all.

I'm sure it's going to hurt perception of me in my association. But I can't seem to make myself do it. Once, I had K recover a scrimmage kick touched by R. No bean bag, obviously. The white hat told me I should throw one there. I said we didn't need it as an enforcement spot. He said, "No, but it lets everyone know that R touched that ball." Later in the game, the same situation occurred. K had recovered the ball before I remembered to get out my bean bag.

Quote:
I only bag spots we might need, which include end of kick and backward passes beyond the LOS. (it might confuse fans when I throw a bean bag on a hook-and-ladder play, but if we need an end of run spot for that play, we've got it.)
What would you do on a play like Cal-Stanford or Trinity-Millsaps? Bean bag, bean bag, hat, then...?