View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 15, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Two Slaps in one game...

Funny thing about slapping the backboard...from a fan's perspective we are inconsistent. Sometimes they see us pass when an opponent slaps the backboard (when he is obviously going for the block and makes contact with the backboard), and sometimes they see us make the call when an opponent slaps the backboard (when he is just slapping the backboard for reasons other than trying to block a shot).

I believe players do not fully understand this rule either.
Friday night we had two instances where the backboard was "slapped".
The first instance the player was clearly trying to block his opponents shot and "slapped" the backboard as he missed the block...ball went in the basket...no call.
Later in the game...a player from the same team, that saw his teammate "get away" with slapping the backboard, decided to try the same thing. Only this time that player had no chance of blocking the shot, but in my judgement was trying to "slap" the backboard so hard that it would either intimidate the shooter or vibrate the ring so that the ball would not go in. (The ball, in fact, did not go in)
Boom..."T"
So now, anytime many of these uninformed fans see a backboard being slapped they will scream for the "T".

Hmmmmm, I guess there are probably many rules that players and fans don't fully understand....

Dude