View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 14, 2002, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question How to tell a vet they are wrong?

We have at least a dozen more seasoned officials than myself in our association. One week the vet says "I like to stand at the free throw line during time outs." Next week the vet says "I like to stand at the top of the key during timeouts." The following week its "Well, I like to stand at the free throw line extended to the 3-point line on the back side of the key. It just looks better."

It just looks better? It just looks better??!

I want to scream at them. BULL CRAPOLA. I have better expletives but they are unprintable.

You know what looks good? What looks good is to do it the way the book tells you to do it. It never 'looks better' do do it wrong. Every once in awhile I will have a coach ask me where the ball will be coming in... and it is always when some veteran has told me to stand in the wrong place. By following the veterans lead I am playing the part of a good partner but at the same time I am reinforcing an incorrect mechanic for the veteran and for any other upcoming official that may be watching.

These same veterans are the ones that like to stand on the sideline as Trail during a free throw. How are you going to help with any call from way over there? You can't possibly see your side of the key.

So my question is .... How do you, with politcal correctness, realign a veteran's thinking?