View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 14, 2002, 03:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Last night had 3 JV's games. Boys. Same coach all night on one schools side. Plenty of time to "get to know him".

The coach was active verbally. When he yelled instructions to his players - he always mentioned "....and the ref won't see it". "Do this, that and you won't be seen". "Bump him underneith and the ref will miss it". etc. etc. etc.

It was HARD not getting distracted and over-watching for this crap (his instructions) being done on the floor. Became more an issue with my partner.

Before game 3 we spoke to him pregame about feeling discreditied. Please stand down on that stuff. He was cool.

Game 3 was tight, I'm trailing. An opponent's three point shooter right in front of me gets knocked back three steps by a guy "blocking out". I protect shooter. Whistle.

Coach starts praising the kid "You did right thats exactly what I teach you (defender). Bad call. Hey ref I teach that. That was text book."

My Partner throws the Tech. Discreditied.

Would You ?

1)I'd inform the coach the first time that I heard his crap that if he's telling his players to foul,he's leaving me no choice but to call a deliberate foul if they do so. Let him chew on that and see if he wants to keep playing that game.The clown is just working you,and he's over the line trying to do that.
2)I'd "T" his a$$ in a heartbeat for that comment-especially after he's been already talked to about making comments like that.How many warnings do you give somebody? My limit is one per type of incident.