View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob View Post
Tom beat me to the punch, and nailed it of course. Robbie, this is only my first year doing NSA, but I find nothing to support keeping the ball live in the rule book or case book. I'll email Terri (if I remember correctly you're also from Indiana) to ask her if I'm wrong, but I believe NSA treats the LBR the same as every other code.
Thanks for the replies. Here in lies one of the major problems with NSA rules. It is generally accepted (at least in Indiana) that the case book for NSA has no merit. There are definately several "cases" in the book that are devinbately wrong. This, of course, may or may not be one of them.

There are several "mistakes, typos, contradictions, etc" in the NSA book that I keep thinking I will write a major report to be presented to the annual meeting - But I never seem to be able to make time to do so.

I stopped refering to the case book for the reason stated above. In general I take the rules for face value, and in this case as stated - there is no rule to kill the play.

If I were in a game and called 2 outs on LBR and had a protest, I'm confident the rulling on the field would hold up. The UIC would have a rule book, and I would show that there is no provision to kill the play.

For what its worth (not much) - I worked a game last year with a Team Indiana staff member, and we had a situation where we did call the first LBR violation out and both rulled that the second runner "returned" quickly enough after her legal stop to avoid violation.

Having said all that - Not sure what Indiana would say the "intent" of the rule is. They certainly may say its dead.

PS:

Bob, Do I know you? Are you in Indiana? I know Terri well, and will inquire as well.