View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 14, 2002, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Re: Frequently ignored in practice

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
This mechanic seems to be frequently ignored. It is especially problematic when you call TO before a baseline inbounds at your basket, and draw up a play based on where the official was ready to deliver the ball, then the official goes to the other side of the basket. I always ask where it will be now, so that I know that it won't change from where it was before the TO.

I have had officials act like it is a meaningless distinction. They obviously don't understand that in a close game when I call TO with ball on my baseline, I am trying to set my best scorer up for a high percentage opportunity. Yes it makes a difference, and yes, I do give a d@mn. And if they would stand at the spot, it won't change when we leave our TO and I will be a much happier coach I seem to get the officials that think that TOs are a chance to have an engaging chat with their partner.

There, I am better now.
First of all Coach, we should always have someone at the correct spot you are correct, many teams I work for have an assistant ask us to make sure while the head coach is talking to the team. Second of all that little chat we are having with 19 seconds left in a two point game goes like this. Okay, Red has the ball here, spot throw, both teams are in the double bonus, get your shooter on the foul, AP is with white, if red hits this shot to go up by four look for white to want a quick foul, stay calm and finish strong, let's get it right, I'll have the shot on the other end of the floor.