View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Rule 2, Section 14?????? What rule book are you looking in? The correct Ruling is 2-11.6.e and if you look at the exceptions to the rule, 2-11.7.i is the exception for NCAA Women. So your statement of ALWAYS is incorrect......
2-11.6.e?????? What rule book are you looking in? 2-11.6.c addresses the held ball, .e addresses a violation. A held ball is not a violation.

To Scappy's assertion (I'm pretty certain he uses the Chuck Norris rule book, which is NEVER wrong, and nobody EVER challenges!):

2-11.6.c indicates that the shot clock is always reset on a held ball, with the following exceptions:

2-11.7.e tells us if there is team control and the arrow favors the team in control, the team in control gets the ball back for an AP throw-in without a reset.

2-11.7.i tells us if there is a held ball during a throw-in -- which if I am reading correctly, will only occur if the thrower holds the ball out over the court and a defender ties it up -- and the arrow favors the throwing team, the throwing team gets the ball back for an AP throw-in without a reset.

I'm not sure why this is significant and warrants its own exception. There is team control during a throw-in in NCAA, so wouldn't this simply be a very unusual instance of 2-11.7.e?

2-11.7.i also tells us that in NCAA-W if there is a simultaneous held ball (which I take to mean that both rebounders grab it at the same time without either establishing team control first) after a try that does not draw iron, and the arrow favors the throwing team, the throwing team gets the ball back for an AP throw-in without a reset.

2-11.7.j tells us if the ball goes OOB after/because of touching two opponents simultaneously, and the arrow favors the team in possession, the team in possession gets the ball back for an AP throw-in without a reset.

Again I'm not sure why this warrants its own case.

I'm trying to think of weird, wild, whacky held ball situations where the shot clock would, or would not, reset. But I'm drawing a blank.

It seems to me a simpler generalization for NCAA-M would be: The shot clock never resets on a held ball if the arrow favors the team in control, otherwise it resets.

For NCAA-W, add the "missed shot" exception.

Feedback?