View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 08:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So if I received a check for $50 for doing a two person game last year, and assuming no increase in fees over the off season, and the state, or conference, decides to go with three person game this year, then I can expect the same $50 check this year, only this year it's for a three person game? Sounds expensive, $100 for a two person game last year, $150 for a three person game this year. How did you guys in three person states get this first started? Did you threaten to go on strike?
Billy,

I really do not know that there was much issue with the schools. For one this was done years ago. We have had 3 Person for all playoff games since 98. Schools in many cases were using 3 Person for many of their games anyway. I do not think schools took this position like you suggest. Also basketball is a revenue sport and they pay more for a single football game for officials than any basketball game. I did not see an issue with fee that big of a deal. The smaller schools as I said would sometimes try to get officials to work a JV/Varsity double header and the money would not be as much as if they paid the JV officials separate, but that has gone away in many cases too. But those were schools that assigned their own games for the most part, and if you did not pay a high enough fee, officials would on their own not go there. And the market in a sense dictated the fees going up. Because schools and conferences wanted to not have officials not go to their places just because of money alone. Basketball is a pretty big deal in this state. It is not difficult to come up with an extra $50 in your example. But so you know, most fees are in the $60 range now and some are higher.

Peace