Thread: tim mcclelland
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 05:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
You're taking my reply the wrong way...the point I was trying to make is the same one you made....the NFL reviews plays an grades officials on every call. If you don't grade out high...you don't work the playoffs.
.I was not being critical of the NFL or their system for rating, evaluating, and advancing officials for post season assignments.
For the record, the NFL officials are downgraded for plays that no one knows are a mistake. They get dinged for movement when they are involved and not involved in plays. NFL officials have to move on every play and during dead ball periods. I would not even think it would be fair to even compare the NFL to MLB when MLB might not even have a touch situation or movement during a great deal of the game. I have said this before; it is a lot harder to officiate a football game than it is a baseball game any day. And the NFL turns over their staff often and change people every year. Can MLB say the same thing?

McClellon had one shot at this play and missed it big time. And he did not have to move much to see the play and adjust to get an angle. We have all missed plays. The lesson in this is to never assume anything. You have to get in position to see something. And if guys knew at the MLB level that they will not have a job in a year for these kinds of calls or at the very least sit home during the playoffs, they might do a better job on the routine play like this.

Peace