View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
So coach, your kids just watched the QB run around for 10 seconds because the R said don't hit him? Poorly coached kids. IMO.

Is it correct officiating procedure? No, but that does not excuse a coaching error. This is a case where preventative officiating went too far.

As a R when the offense says they are taking a knee I move in a little tighter and keep my whistle at the ready so I can quickly alert the defenders that the QB has downed the ball. But I don't say anything to anyone about it, I signal to my U and my wings (a very subtle tapping of my hand to my knee) but that is it. But I always tell the crew in pregame be ready for anything, because a fumbled snap or a weasel play might just catch you off guard.

The other day had a player get to the punter before he punted the ball. he was well coached to 'not hit the punter' so he stood there and watched the punter kick it. Oops.

no matter who says what, players have to know when the ball is live and when it is dead.

Sounds like they were coached to follow the instructions of the officials. If only more teams were so well coached. Unfortunately the officials gave som bad instructions. They then didn't have the intestinal fortitude to call the play dead.