View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Simple Balk Question

I have a simple balk question but need some feedback before I send an email out to a few association members. This didnt happen in my game but I was told this by 2 guys who were working on another field nearby.

Runners on 1st & 2nd. Pitcher takes sign, comes set. Pitcher steps (i.e. makes a legal feint) and throws to SS who is in his "normal" position nowhere near 2B, ect. They call a balk.

They told me the story after the game and my a bunch of red flags kept going up as they were progressing. I told them, "thats not a balk" as the one guy was claiming the throw to SS constituted P throwing to an unoccupied base. I told him thats incorrect and only at 1B does the fielder need to be in the vicinity to make a play on the runner in a pickoff situation.

My contention is/was that pitcher needs to make a legal feint towards 2B. Anything he does after cannot be a balk. In the above situation he certainly made a legal feint towards 2B. The game was played under OBR but I believe this would also not be a balk under NFHS.

I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.