View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

I confess when I made that statement a month ago I slipped into coach language as in what coaches always yell..."Thats a crack back block..." I admit I should have said watch the player you are keying on (widest receiver on strong side by the NFHS book) especially if he is blocking back towards the ball to see if he blocks below the waist or in the back. And as you watch blocking ahead of a runner to the weak side be mindful of ends and backs outside the tackle blocking down for the same thing.

Sure I used a coach word mea culpa mea culpa. But as officials if we can't understand an occassional coach word then we need to hang up the whistle because we have to be in tune with the game as it is being taught and played today. We may have to sometimes translate "coach-speak" into code language but we do have to be fluent in it.

Oh and to the guy who said there are only three defined positions for A at the snap as far as the rules are concerned...you are mistaken there are 4. snapper...lineman...backs, and I would argue ends have enough rules specifics to list them here...ends can remove a hand from on or near the ground, ends are elligible recievers, etc.