View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 06:41pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post

In the meantime, association meetings are a good place to find out how everyone else in the area is making a particular call, so you don't stand out. Perhaps you can work in the background to get a particular mechanic or local interp changed, or even become a senior member, officer, or interpreter so you can tell others the proper way to do things. Otherwise, how do you handle a senior member or interpreter that says, "We're not going to do it that way, because it's not fair; we're going to do it this way instead"?
Maybe I wasn't clear in my original question. In my case, I guess I would be considered one of those senior members even though I just got back into town. Also, the new interpreter is one of my friends and he goes to these sessions too. In other words, if I don't like something he is saying, he is my friend and I will let him know. But, he wants the association to improve and be consistent so that doesn't really happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Unless you are all working for the same person or under the same umbrella all the time, people are going to bring their individual philosophies, experiences and point of views to the table. Honestly I do not really understand why people are so concerned with what every official does in games they do not work. You do not get that kind of consistency at the NCAA level, so why would those expect it at the high school level? My position is not about improvement; my comments are what should be the realistic expectations. What you are doing is great, but there are just too many people to expect everyone to get on board with any plan.

Peace
Again, maybe I should be more clear. Consistency, on the high school level has more to do with consistency within an association. The problem is we have officials who talk a good game and supposedly know it all, but the only thing consistent about their game is they consistently get themselves into a bind. We are also trying to get officials we work with locally to understand application of the rule book instead of just knowing how to pass the test. I will be working with many of these officials so I absolutely care about how prepared they are.

I have had this discussion with Rut before; I think it is time we start talking less and being able to do more.