View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commish34 View Post
We've had an issue with an official who has some conjured up idea of what happens on a play where the offense commits a foul and scores. One call was an O.T. game where a team that has the ball second scored a TD and on the PAT, they commit a hold and score. Official goes to offended team and says you want to decline this penalty so the game will be over. Offending coach goes nuts. He should have the yards marked off and replay down.

Tonight a team runs an 85 yard TD and holds on 3rd down from the 15 (hold is at 10). Official tells the defense they want to decline the penalty so it will be 4th down at the 15. I'm the League Commish and let the official know he has messed up the deal. He won't hear of it.

Anyway, I go to the Fed rules and look up 10-1-1 to find what I think is a gargled up description of a declined penalty. The guy will never understand just that explanantion. I need a reference to show him that if a penalty is declined, the play stands and we move to the next play/down/situation. Can someone provide me with a place to show that reference? Obviously one needs a much broader knowledge of the Fed rules to put the puzzle together but this guy just needs a clear reference other than "I told you so."
This works nearly every time...

When you need to correct a buffoon on the rules, call him out at the meeting (subtly, of course).

When the rules interpreter is giving his speech at each meeting, bring up those exact plays (when the guy that screwed them up is present). The rules interpreter will give the correct ruling, then you just look at the buffoon and you'll see a light go on in his head. Then when it comes up again, just say "Hey, remember what Marty said at the meeting? That's not how it's done."

Done and done.