Thread: NCAA Question
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck View Post
My sport is basketball, so I need some insight. I was attending a D3 game last week and noticed the officials rarely blew their whistle (even noticed it in the NFL but that may just be a sound issue). This game was physical and on several occassions a player down field but facing the line of scrimmage would get nailed by a player with his back to the line of scrimmage well after the action stopped...and it happened to players on both teams. There were never an flags and the game was well officiated.

My concern was that a player who knows the play is dead would relax and get hurt. Why no whistles?

Just curious.
Players that play the game know when the play is dead. If they do not know, they will learn very soon.

BTW, basketball has the same fundamental as football. The play is already dead when the whistle is blown. The whistle is only to stop those that might be away from the ball. Again you do not need to blow the whistle because players really know when the play is over. And if you blew the whistle anyway, you still could have a late hit or something illegal. And for the record this applies at all levels including high school. My crew rarely blows out whistles on plays in the middle of the field.

Peace