View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Two-person mechanics is all about priorities. In the world of priorities, it is more crucial that I get the call correct at 2B because that could mean a runner winds up in scoring position. (Of course, we want to get all of our calls correct, but sometimes we have to choose where the bulk of our attention is paid.)

The call at 1B is lower priority for two reasons: 1) they already occupy the base & 2) they're not in scoring position.

For me, the key to getting into position at 2B for the steal is to work directly parallel with the baseline from your starting position. If you take a path towards the bag, that's gonna cost you a step or two because it's slightly farther to get to the same angle. (Who said high school geometry wouldn't come in handy someday?)

One caveat: look out for a second base-player who takes a shallow angle to a backup position (too many of which do).
I believe Andy is seeing the priority as where is your most likely play - same approach I have. In a 2-ump game and in the B position, I'm reading F3 and F4 before determining my starting position. With F3 way up and F4 not indicating a pick-off is coming, I'm 35-25 - more toward 2B. If a pick-off looks likely, I'm 25, maybe even 20 ft from the right field line and as close as I can get (depending on where F4 is positioned).