View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 09:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I certainly don't wish to downplay what is taught in your area, but you may want to consider this and politely ask the powers that be in your neighborhood:

Which play happens more often - the pickoff attempt at first or the steal of second?

If you work between pitches, you can position yourself closer to second base with a runner on first. Once the pitch is made and the runner is not stealing, take a step or two toward first base, then you are already moving in that direction if the catcher makes a pickoff throw and you will be in a decent position to see the play.
Two-person mechanics is all about priorities. In the world of priorities, it is more crucial that I get the call correct at 2B because that could mean a runner winds up in scoring position. (Of course, we want to get all of our calls correct, but sometimes we have to choose where the bulk of our attention is paid.)

The call at 1B is lower priority for two reasons: 1) they already occupy the base & 2) they're not in scoring position.

For me, the key to getting into position at 2B for the steal is to work directly parallel with the baseline from your starting position. If you take a path towards the bag, that's gonna cost you a step or two because it's slightly farther to get to the same angle. (Who said high school geometry wouldn't come in handy someday?)

One caveat: look out for a second base-player who takes a shallow angle to a backup position (too many of which do).