Thread: Illegal motion
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Illegal motion

So I'm working a JV last night and I have two wide receivers to my side, both on the line. The widest one turns to me and asks if he's off the line, so I told him, "No, you're on the line, you need to scoot back." As he's taking a few steps backwards, the ball is snapped. Of course, this happened right in front of the defense's sideline and their coach heard the entire thing, so he starts going nuts, saying it was a false start or illegal motion or something. I kept officiating, and the other wide receiver on my side, the one that was closer to the LOS and on the line, ended up catching a twenty yard pass and running another ten. The coach is screaming and yelling at me the entire play. I didn't know what to do, so I told him it was my fault the kid was moving and he didn't end up having any effect on the play...he just ended up running five yards downfield and stopping. His argument was that the play never should've happened. They were down like 28-0 at this point by the way, almost at the end of the first half, so the coach was in a bad mood already.

So to appease him, I called time-out and went out and explained to my WH and U what was going on. They said since the widest receiver was moving backwards at the snap, it was not a false start and not illegal motion. The WH went over to explain it to the coach and then he starts complaining that the inner receiver went downfield illegally...but he wasn't covered up at the snap because the widest receiver had moved back by then. The coach wasn't listening by then, he was so mad.