View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

First Hurdling call ( board thanks) and question

In my many, many years of calling high school ball - I called hurdling for the first time ever.
We had a extra point and the offensive linemen blocked down and one of the defensive backs jumped over (completely over) the lineman. At first I was stunned. and took a little time for the play to register with me. But thanks to this forum I remember seeing the video that someone posted a few months back where another player did the exact same thing and from the board they said it was hurdling.
Guys, I do not have my rules books they are at work- The referee had no idea what penalty to give or yardage.
This is what we did-- The extra point was good. We gave the offensive team the right to take the penalty and try another extra point or on the kick-off. They took it on the kickoff and we stepped off fifteen yards. ( there was some big talk between the officials about the yardage but that goodness I read the board last month. The coach of the team was upset and said "I have never seen that penalty ever in football" And I replied that "I had not either but today is both of our first day"
>
Now with all that said I hope that I got the call correct with the correct yardage. And again thanks to whomever posted that video a few months ago and the responses.
>
ANOTHER question since I do not have my books- Can the runner hurdle at tackler?
Leaving for a college game(just a fan) will check the board later thanks!