The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

First Hurdling call ( board thanks) and question

In my many, many years of calling high school ball - I called hurdling for the first time ever.
We had a extra point and the offensive linemen blocked down and one of the defensive backs jumped over (completely over) the lineman. At first I was stunned. and took a little time for the play to register with me. But thanks to this forum I remember seeing the video that someone posted a few months back where another player did the exact same thing and from the board they said it was hurdling.
Guys, I do not have my rules books they are at work- The referee had no idea what penalty to give or yardage.
This is what we did-- The extra point was good. We gave the offensive team the right to take the penalty and try another extra point or on the kick-off. They took it on the kickoff and we stepped off fifteen yards. ( there was some big talk between the officials about the yardage but that goodness I read the board last month. The coach of the team was upset and said "I have never seen that penalty ever in football" And I replied that "I had not either but today is both of our first day"
>
Now with all that said I hope that I got the call correct with the correct yardage. And again thanks to whomever posted that video a few months ago and the responses.
>
ANOTHER question since I do not have my books- Can the runner hurdle at tackler?
Leaving for a college game(just a fan) will check the board later thanks!
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Are you sure you saw hurdling? Jumping over a player who is lying on the ground is not hurdling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 Rule Book
2-20 Hurdling: Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or
knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of
his body except one or both feet.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfo9494 View Post
ANOTHER question since I do not have my books- Can the runner hurdle at tackler?
I do not see an exception for the runner in either the definition of hurdling (2-22) or the rule describing it as a foul (9-4-3d).

Don't see a case book play about it. I assume the runner may not do so.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Sonce nobody was too specific about it, hurdling is a personal foul and a 15 yard penalty. Runners (nor anybody else) may not hurdle in FED play. I seem to recall that runners may in NCAA but I'll leave that to college experts.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Check page 81 under Illegal Personal Contact.