Thread: overtime rules
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 08, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthekid42 View Post
The NFL needs to change their overtime rules. A victory in overtime usually (73.1% last year) comes down to who wins the coin toss, thus making it merely a game of chance. Not a drastic change is needed, but simply if the NFL changed the rule to the first team who scores six points is awarded the victory, it would make overtime games much more of thrillers. For example, a team who wins the coin toss could opt to either go for the touchdown for the victory, or kick a field goal and be halfway to victory. It would eliminate the boring offense when a team is at their opponents 30 or closer, and simply running the football to set up a field goal, which is boring. A team would need to score a touchdown on the first possesion to be victorious, also more exciting then a field goal, and it would put pressure on coach's playcalling and aggressiveness.
Not sure if this applies to just last year or over a period of time but I seem to recall the stat was just over 50% of teams that win the coin toss and win on the first drive without the other team getting possession. It may be that 73% ultimately win the game but they don't do it on the first drive.

I've heard one of the reasons the NFL doesn't want to go to a college style overtime is they want to limit the amount of extra plays since the teams already play 16 games (colleges typically only play 12 + a bowl) and they only have 48 active players in each game while colleges have many more. Not sure if that's a vaild reason but it's one I've heard argued.

I think your proposal is one of the more interesting ones I've heard. I don't mind the current overtime rules because the team on defense can still get the ball back if they make a stop and they'll probably get better field position than the team who received the opening kickoff.