View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 07:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgs View Post
We saw a video at our Association meeting that is put out by a a Hawaiian Officials group. It is a tremendous tool. They show actual plays and discuss the rules. During the section on the Free Blocking Zone the commentator said that the blocks were illegal because they were not on the initial charge. When I mentioned to the interpreter that nowhere in the rulebook or casebook does it mention 'initial charge' he stated that I should go to the NFHS website and look for corrections. In the casebook on page 14 2.17.3, 2.17.4 Sit.A and 2.17.4 Sit.B seems to emphasize that initial charge is not the case. These entries say that the lineman takes a step backward and then three sideward steps before clipping or blocking in the back. There is no case stating a block below the waist. Does a block below the waist have to be on the initial charge?
This initial charge is used when there is a shotgun formation. Even though the snap puts the ball out of the FBZ (and hence the zone disintegrates), we allow an initial charge to be a BBW, BIB, or clip if the rest of the requirements are in place. If the ball never leaves the zone, the block can be anytime until the zone disintegrates.