View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
My getting set is with my hands on my thighs. I do this right before the pitcher starts her pitch. Is this incorrect? Also, if time allows, I get set like that at a base before a play happens. Is this OK? Dave
I think if you're using your hands to support your weight, you're adding more motions than you need in order to get moving. You're pushing up off of your thighs, and you're raising up before you can even begin to move.

In slow pitch and fast pitch, there's no need to get set in this way. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and parallel to the baseline. Bend your knees slightly and place your weight slightly more on the balls of your feet than on your heels. If you lean forward, lean only slightly forward, don't bend forward. You should be able to spring to the side, one way or the other.

Think of how a good shortstop gets ready on the pitch. They're not leaning forward or bending over, are they? No, instead, they're mostly upright with their feet the way I described above. They're not supporting their weight by putting their hands on their thighs. They're ready to spring in any direction.

Putting your hands on your thighs is not expressly forbidden, but if it takes you out of the play by adding more motions before you're moving, it's not a good idea. However, I did see a UIC this weekend specifically address this with a fellow umpire who was having problems similar to what you were describing.

That's pretty much all I've got. I'm a SP guy, but the set position between SP and FP are exactly the same. Anyone else want to bring up suggestions? Preferably someone who comes from a more FP-oriented world?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.