View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a335336 View Post
I need some help here... What is the HS ruling on a fair catch that hits the ground and rolls several bounces. I witnessed the K team tackle the receiver after the ball had hit the ground and rolled then picked up by R. Official ruled the R who waived the fair catch has entitlement to the ball even after it hits the ground to be protected under the fair catch rule.

Thanks
As I understand your situation, you are describing a scrimmage kick (punt), where the receiver made a valid fair catch signal, the ball hit the ground, the receiver recovered the ball, and he was then tackled.

No foul on this play unless the official deems the contact a personal foul. The ball is dead when R recovers the kick. R does not have "entitlement" to the ball, except in the sense that it is a scrimmage kick -- so if K touches it before R does, it's first touching. If R muffs the recovery, K can get the ball. The fair catch signal does not change that.

See this case:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 Case Book
6.5.3 SITUATION:
COMMENT: Contacting a receiver who did not give a fair-catch signal or contacting a receiver
who has given a signal but is contacted where he cannot make a fair catch, is
not a foul unless the contact is judged to be a personal foul. The receiver is not
afforded special protection in such situations. Members of the kicking team have
the responsibility for knowing when the ball is dead. If a kicker could not have
seen a fair-catch signal made by the teammate of the receiver, there is no foul.
However, if he could have seen the signal, he does not have license to contact the
receiver. (4-2-2g)