View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 03, 2009, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
The guy sounds like a Ryobi chop saw, but did you pregame who had the coverage on this play? Because normally that call at 3rd belongs to the BU (using standard mechanics), unless discussed differently in the pregame.
He was too busy telling me about himself so I did what I thought was right. And your right I have done it both ways over the years and tommorrow the school of thought will say they are more correct than it has been done before, whatever. I do cover it in ALL my pregames now.

Tuss you asked what can be done?

Well it all depends on the officials. In my case, bonehead decided he was going to take over the game and that was that. whenever you get that personnality on the field, it just doesn't matter what rules, mchanics or protocol has been established, you have to keep doing your job.

If I am the veteran, I will assist my partner when he is in trouble and NOT all the time. If requested I will give him rule citations to reinforce the situation and hope that he makes a good decision. However I will not embarrass him, direct him or make his calls for him. There will be times though when the best learning curve is shutting your mouth and letting him learn the hard way.

There is NO set pattern below pro-Ball and it depends on the personailty of the team on the field. Rules and mechanics say this and that but sometimes as you know, a little authority goes to some peoples heads and resoning is not possible. You have to have a big ego to be good and competent, and yet still know how to get along with others. Not everyone can handle that evenly.