View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Did a boys varsity scrimmage this morning. Quality of play was low and there's not a whole lot of talent on the two teams. But they were competitive with each other, which is good. Anyway, we had 3 guys there to work the scrimmage (working in 2-man crews). My partner (a varsity official) goes to toss up the jump ball. He looks around the circle and says, "Ok, hold 'em". Then looks around again, backs out of the circle and says to the players around the 3-point arc, "Guys, find a spot and hold it!"

After the first period (we ran 5 10-minute periods), I got the 3 of us together and asked, "Do the guys that aren't on the circle have to hold a spot on the jump?" He said, yes they do. That's the whole point of telling the players to be set. The other official was a newer guy (2nd full season) and just went along with him.

I will be holding my rulebook tomorrow morning when we revisit this discussion at our board meeting.

Chuck