View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 25, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthegame View Post
No ball no call does not require a judgement to communicate...it is obvious.

This NCAA mechanic was discussed and implemented by a lot of great and experienced umpire minds.

It has been used at this level by alot of excellent umpires to acknowledge that the play was noticed and a judgement has been rendered.....

Alot of great umpires have used this mechanic and found it to be quite effective...and incorporated into their mechanics repertoire.

First, I agree that it's a good signal to use - properly. And I understand that Mike is dealing is dealing with all all levels of ball and all levels of skill. AND - you may well owe be a beer r 2 for this, but - Mike would & has done well at just about any level he happened to be working.
Luvvy - you're indicating in your post that you agree with the mechanic for the college level - great, it's an expectation and pretty much a requirement that. Mike ain't agreeing with it for the various levels he's got.
There's not a problem there.
I suspect that if/when someone uses the mechanic in a game he's working, he'll know what just happened. Just as much, I suspect that in a game with Mike, if he doesn't make an interference/obstruction/no tag call in his area, I'll know he was where he should have been and saw what he should have seen.
I haven't worked a game with Mike, but we've hoisted a few and I've worked with at least 1 of his deputies - and that she's one of the best I've had the pleasure to work with - even if she does wear a non-black face mask.