View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 25, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I would disagree. The OP said the ball short-hopped the SS as he was making a play. As umpires, we are in the communication business. We must communicate what's occurred. In this situation, it's a "no catch." Everyone is best served by a "safe" signal.
True, but I don't believe the signal is the issue. When a ball is put into play, the defense has people screaming for the ball here or there and the offense is screaming for the BR/Rs to run here or there. In many cases, very few are going to realize a complete verbal call. The offense has designated coaches to direct the runners (many of whom haven't the slightest idea how to coach) and defenders are not lacking in help from teammates. Step up and give a safe signal.

Quote:
In NCAA, we're taught to give a "safe" signal on a potential INT/OB call that we rule is neither. It's an umpire's way of communicating what has occurred and what your ruling is.
IMO, over-officiating redundancy. Don't know what sect of the game initiated the mechanic, but I have a good idea

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Aug 25, 2009 at 01:43pm.