View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg View Post
I had this problem last night:

One out, R1 and R2. Rec ball, but the guys kind of take it seriously.

Batter hits a line drive to the shortstop. The ball hits the ground briefly (for a millisecond), and then goes into the SS's glove. No question in my mind, but it was a question in the mind of many of the fielders and runners.

I didn't call anything, didn't say the batter is out, didn't say "hey guys, run", or anything like that. Just kind of looked at the SS, and waited for things to happen.

They did. After a couple of moments, the SS figured out what was going on, and tagged R2, who had come off of the base, but was confused as to whether to run or not. SS then took two steps to second base, stepped on it, and I called R1 out. He had not run (he was confused, too).

I felt sorry for all of the confusion, and it would have been nice to make some sort of call that made everything clear right away, but I don't know what I should have done? Point to the ground? Call "fair ball" (OK, that was a joke, I'm not really asking that), or something else?
I had a similar sit happen to me while i was playing baseball, in LF, slide feet first to snag a shallow pop up, I definitely caught the ball, everyone in the stands, the batter, and R1 knew I caught the ball, the ump didnt say anything, that should have been the 3rd out, as Im running in, I see a lot of players on both teams just standing around, so i flipped the ball to 2nd, and the ump called a force out.

As a player, it would have been nice to know that the ump didnt think it was a catch so I wouldnt have been screwed if the runner and BR actually ran. thus, when I ump, I always yell no catch on a close play to "aid" the fielders and runners. I dont know if its proper by the rule book/mechanics, but I feel its the right thing to do. (especially since I only do SP)