View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 09:33am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
I registered to be a volleyball official for the first time this year. I have never done volleyball before in my life, and I am nervous. I looked through the rulebook and officials manual, and I am confused on rotations, screening, overlapping. any advice for me? I have my first match in 2 weeks and I'm clueless
Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
It is JH, and yes, I think I will be ready. I am going to a clinic this weekend and working some scrimmages next weekend. I've always heard vb will be easy to pick up, so I'm hoping I have no troubles
First, I like your name. "Refink" reminds of "Rat fink", which is what my dad used to call me when he would pretend to be upset about something. I was always the "rat fink, crummy kid". As in, "Who ate the last chocolate chip cookie? Was it that rat fink, crummy kid???" And naturally, I had the crumbs still on my shirt.

Anyway!! I'm just starting my third year and I still am very inadequate at a number of things -- including rotations and overlaps. I'm hopeless when it comes to back row stuff. You're nervous, and that's to be expected, and you just have to go in and realize that you're not going to see everything very well for a while.

Which is why I am laughing to myself when you say that you think you'll be ready. NOT!! And that is not a dig at you, honest. It's just that there's too much to know for you to be ready the first time out.

As for being an easy sport to officiate, I will tell you what I tell everybody else. Some parts are VERY easy and other parts are IMPOSSIBLE. My advice is to get real good at the easy stuff (in/out, lifts, net faults) and not worry too much about the really hard stuff (back row attacks, overlaps on the receiving team). Be aware of it, and grab an obvious one if you happen to see it; but don't feel too bad when you don't see it.