View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

SteveM is in a unique situation and I understand from where he is coming. Personally, I would probably take a different approach and work ASA ball just to irritate that particular person. But that is me just being the obnoxious smart *** I can be.

We all umpire for different reasons. In my 43 years of umpiring, I have never worked for the money or the players. Whether it was baseball or softball, I umpired for the game. Have I worked games for nothing? Yep. Would I work every game for nothing? Nope. Regardless of the reason, I don't believe there is a real sports official who at one time or another receive and work an assignment they would rather not have worked. But we do the game anyway because as with everything in life, there is always a less attractive side which must be accommodated.

When I umpire, whether locally or on the road, there is no need to justify the assignment, it is well known I umpire because it is what I do. OTOH, I will not seek nor accept an assignment which will place a financial burden on my family.

Back to the point, umpires need to exercise some sense of loyalty to those placing them in a position to do well on the field. And yes, my area is a bit different from others as (and I know you are probably tired of hearing this) all training save a State School is open to all and free of charge. Unfortunately, that may change before next season.