View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
when your talking 2 grand in a w/e thats straight scrilla and thats about the money. I'm all about that.

One thing I've found with SOME pac10 guys though... once they come back to ASA/lower pay stuff... sometimes you will hear the ole ... if this was a college game I'd be making such and such and would do such and such.

So sometimes its not really worth while to have the big pac 10 guy on the field at a nonNCAA event.

Plus if they see a D1 coach in the stands, that have to go nuzzle the ole brown eye a little between innings..

SOME OF THEM.. definitely not all, because plenty of PAC10 umps have taught me invaluable stuff.
I would love to say that I have never seen that. But, I cannot say that. Different philosophies for different umpires.

For other umpires, every game is the most important game that is being played that day, and they give every thing they have. I like to work with those umpires.

This spring a 3-time WCWS umpire was identified while working a one-man 10u game. When the parent asked the umpire why in the world they are there for that game, the umpire responded, "For the same reason, you are. For them".

I love that story.

That is why we umpire....

Smokey