Thread: Protection
View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Sorry to ride you, Tony.

I realize that there are other shots that could kill you or knock you cold, but they are all less painful than a split jewel.

Anyway, I cruise the L.A. freeways at between 75 and 80 m.p.h. every single day. I have taken street bikes up to 125 m.p.h. on the coast highway or the canyons and have woven through cars at 90 m.p.h. on freeways. And I have done performance driving in commercials. I absolutely love racing and driving the hell out of a good car. It's a riskier thing than going the limit, but I weigh it and do it.

I would still never go onto a baseball field to perform any function whatsoever without a cup. There is no measurable reward.
Never suggested that there was a measurable reward, merely suggested that we make trade offs based on subjective evaluation. That's why we have aphorisms like "to each his own." The things that you do that are risky have no measurable reward either. They don't need to measurable.

As for what is the reward? Bob is right, just because you don't see a "reward" doesn't mean there isn't. Eg, a reward may be "I don't feel like a dork when I don't wear a cup on the bases and I do feel like a dork when I do." You don't have to agree with anyone's preferences, just understand that he has them and they may be different than yours.