View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 10:39am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
first time posting...(I've gained some great insights from the participants here - thanks!)
My question regards question 68 on the refresher exam:
on a designated spot throw in, A1 passes the ball diagonally toward the boundary line. B1 deflects the ball while it is on the OOB side of the line. Answer says the official is correct in assessing a T on B1.
Rule 9-2-11 says the opponent shall not reach through the throw-in plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. The way the question is worded, I take it that the thrower HAS released the ball and therefore the defender can then reach across and deflect the ball. Am I missing something? I'm also wondering how this rule squares with rule 1-2-2, where if there is less than 3 ft of unobstructed space outside any sideline or endline...it says the restraining line marked on the court 3' inside that boundary becomes the boundary line during a throw-in "until the ball crosses the line"...once the thrower-in has released the ball in this sitch, is the restriction off for the defender to contact the ball?
mdray,
Welcome!
I agree with you that the ball was released and that there is no violation, no less a T foul.
The effect of the restraining line is only to move the throw-in plane away from the obstructed space; all other related throw-in provisions apply.
mick