View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
You showed a little restraint. I would have tossed him as soon as he remarked my strike zone being the size of a postage stamp.
Agree....he's gone right there.

He showed you up by gesturing with his hands what he thought of your strike zone.

Don't get me wrong..we all have a different point when we've had enough regarding arguing balls and strikes...and as others have replied it was a good and warranted ejection...no question about it.

Now I'm going to ask you to give the following some thought:
My reason for saying that he had to go at that point is this...what if it all stopped right there. He made the gesture with his hands, everyone on the field saw it, you chose to let it go, and this pitcher does no further complaining. What if later in the game the opposing pitcher did the same thing? Or a form either team gestured with their hands indicating displeasure with you zone? What do you do? Try to calm them down? Warn? Eject?

My point is this...the moment that pitcher showed you up by gesturing with his hands AFTER he had already yelled into you asking "where was that pitch"...every player there saw it, if you don't run him all those guys now think that they can get away with the same kind of BS.