View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

SUBJECT: IMPRESS ME WITH KNOWLEDGE NOT CREDENTIALS!!!!!!

since i started this mess i'll attempt to end it.

txmike and theisy, thanks for the info. just because i don't understand a ruling (such as 1st and 10 rather than 1st and 25) doesn't mean that it isn't right. sometimes things sound better to me if they are spoon fed. i will say this, i'll never Begin a NEW series of downs with anything other than 1st and 10!

as for credentials;
h.s. and col. player, near masters degree, own sucessful commercial roofing business which by the way, i frequently have prospective employees suggest that they have been roofing for 20 years and are good at what they do. unlike officials, i can question their judgement and often wonder how someone can be in a trade or vocation for 20 years and still be wrong not knowing correct details or codes. umpired 1,000's(10 yrs) of baseball games jv, v, college. finished at top class at pro school. many post season v and college as well as all star games. 2 years jr high football as v alternate. this is my 1st year as full time v white hat(first time in that position as well). oh, just turned 32.

years and games have done little for me except for provide game experience. proper education from the right people is what has made me a better official/umpire. there are plenty of old charlies that have been working more years and games than me and still believe that they know all of the rules and will argue til their death even after you have proven them wrong. my second year (age 26) in this local umpire association i challenged two vet umpires (15 years plus) who both worked post season and one worked a state final game to throw their wallets on the table over a simple rule disagreement. both backed down. i read them the rule and the top dog said yep, i've been doing it wrong for all these years, the other charlie still didn't believe he was wrong even after the rule was read and the other guy ate crow.

simple philosophy of a friend of mine who has worked a world series; if you are in pickle and are in doubt, common sense and fair play will always bail you out. and having good instincts doesn't hurt.

in MY opinion txmike and Theisy know their stuff (without asking for their credentials) and i'll certainly use them as crutches in the future. thus, one should never throw away thier creditability challenging someones credentials.

P.S. The simple rule was Batters Interference with the Catchers Attempted Throw to retire a runner. Both argued that it was interference when the batter stood in the box when the runner on 2nd advancing to 3rd on pitch and C stood up to throw but did not because B was in the way it was B interference. also argued that if B stepped in front of plate when r on 1st was stealing 2nd it was B int. Rule says ATTEMPTED throw. if C doesn't attempt the throw because B is in the way he is stupid. if he is smart he throws it in the outfield and gets B out and runner(s) return. Sounds like the tripping play. Must know definitions to understand the rule.